Fortisimo

There will be a time when you suddenly feel like regular watches, fakes just don't cut it anymore. Even more so when you do not know a think about micro-brands or possess the ability to appreciate Asian watch brands. Of course, what kind of 18 yrs old that kind of money to get himself a Swiss made watch?

One day in the past, Citibank decide to reward its customers with discounts off this watch shop that specializes in high end time pieces. My dad got himself a fine dress watch from Longines (special because of its in-house movement), Mother was given a Longines flat and tiny quartz (which I still don't get, spending more than $400 on a quartz). I was allowed to choose between an iPod touch or a watch for my upcoming birthday.

Even with an unhinged mind, anyone would definitely choose Swiss cheese. 

Looking around the shop and the brands offered, which I have completely no idea what the hell am I doing. Perhaps if given a choice to choose now, I would end up with a completely different brand. But anyway I didn't regret it one bit. Enter Fortis Spacematic.



This watch strikes me for its clean, simple look. Many people just don't get that. Simple and straight forward, it tells time, day and date. The 'lint' like things is actually inside the watch, seems to be its lume is falling off or what.

There isn't much to say about this watch except that fortis has some expensive and ugly accessories. Hence an aftermarket strap from Paros, circulated from the Monster who now uses a caramel coloured strap. 


The only weird thing about this watch is the screw down crown design. The crown is so long, its weird and jutting out. The above picture you see is actually its screwed in position. And when it is screwed in, the logo is is pictured as below which is just quirky bad. But I don't mind it at all. Comparing with most other brands. 

comparing crown logo's orientation in screw down position
Maybe for marketing sake, it is depicted as that 'orientation' however its actual watch is up-side down for shit's sake. 

Another thing that made me love this watch alot is the thickness of the watch is just my kind of thing.
For a 40mm diameter case without crown, it is pretty thick and gives the watch the beefiness that is very attractive. Ruler measures it to be at 9mm thick. ME LIKEY!!


From the casing and all, it seems to be made of titanium. The watch also sports a sapphire crystal which is working great and very good at being scratch-proof. Hope this post doesn't jinx it.


This watch's movement is some ETA automatic, don't know and still don't care which. Since I don't sell them, why bother going into such details? Would anyone go in to a watch shop and, hey, just hook me up with any ETA 6487 or Miyota watch movement? But as far as this one beating in my watch, the movement is just durable and good and smooth after 4-5 years? (no jinx-ing please). Now that I'm working near Chinatown, I can easily go to places to get my watch serviced. 





Good clean watch, timeless design. Such watches are always in fashion. But some people don't really get the price tag of S$1300, but at a discount, it went for $800 instead. 

Modern version of this watch.


The modern version is same sized, has numbered markers instead of lume strips. Seemed a little clustered on the modern one don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment