chunkies

Should be sleeping but this..

In my life, I do like my things thick and chunky sometimes. Call it over compensating or what, but I feel that somethings do need to have a bit of a mass to feel good.

I play the guitar for instance, I'm not clapton who can produce massive sounds or what, neither do I have a discerning ear. I do, however, very much have always love the sound of a les paul. My heroes play them and it called out to me. I always go to other guitars but the les paul always comes back.

Something about the thick body and tone.
Something.

Yet its also all in the fine touches.

Recently, gonna have to halt my watch buying activities. Not a penguin here, I do not flip stuff, I buy them to keep them. As when I started, I still have a liking towards thicker watches. My first thick watch is the Fortis Spacematic.

I find that thicker watches elevates the timepiece and brings it to life on my bony wrists.

Now, today, even in my love for diving watches mostly, I still prefer thicker watches. I also bodes case integrity.

I love the pam, we all know, also I have come to like very much, the thickness of my Seiko Black monster. But because of the shroud, it kinda makes the bottom to top tapers abit making it look a little like a bell or oris divers if u will.

Wearing the watch, face the crystal to the sky and look at it with your eyes level to the bottom lug and both lug horns pointing back at you (puck users imagine there is a lug horn), if it looks like this (_____) or
 this /_____\, then your watch is actually thicker than it looks in most cases (no puns intended)

Curves and caseback to crystal tapers soften the height of the watch. Yet the reverse tapers looks weird so what we want is a parallel sides, maybe the bezel edge jutting out, all the better.

My point, I will be looking out for thick divers for my next purchase and show also some "thick" watches around.

Rolex deep sea dweller
28.5mm thick

Actually, I would think that every model of rolex is actually one of the highest spec-ed out model of its time of introduction and it stays that way for decades. Imagine someone in the mid 50s blogging about submariners.

I know this watch has a history from a long time ago, but this is quite modern I must say. I wears thick and is not the subtle-est of watches. Thick watches from rolex do require fat stacks tho. give or take S$11,500.00.
Panerai Submersible 24C
13mm thick

What's this without a panerai? Pam 24c. This would probably be the only modern luminor casing pam I like, because it is polished steel instead of brushed metal. it gives the very vintage feel and it has a unidirectional bezel. Yay. Nuff said. SGD 9,800.00....nuff dreaming.

Orient Star Saturation Diver 300M
16.6mm thick

This watch is also a pretty one. Orient saturation diver or OS300. OS stands for Orient Star. This is orient's answer to the line of prospex Seiko divers. What people love is retained and what people hate is gone. This watch wins in a lume contest with the flagship Seiko MM300 at a bit more than half the price of a second hand MM300. The watch bezel has huge fonts, maxi-dial style with a cool power reserve. The one thing people love the most? It sports a thick-ass sapphire crystal, hardlex on a MM300, not that I mattered to me, touch wood.

The machining on the watch is good but many have commented that watch case finish wise, Seiko leaves Orient behind, but not far back.

The bracelet also sports a similar divers extension as the MM300 and deep sea dweller. Its all on the geared style for almost precise micro adjustments.

For once, the date is on the 9 o'clock side of things. At SGD 1,800.00, this is the most affordable professional watch yet.

Seiko Marinemaster 300m SBDX001
14.6mm thick

In the main Seiko line, not talking about grand Seiko, this watch has to be the prodigal son in Seiko's line up, There are more costly models such as the Emperor Tuna but this watch really stands out.

The watch case is not so much as thick as others, the thickness is also greatly contributed by the bezel height. This watch, by all means is a fine watch. It is near perfect. But the mono-casing makes it hard to get serviced. The watch has hardlex which I do not know why like many people. The movement is said to be a unfinished spring drive movement similar to Grand Seikos or based off of it, which claims to have lesser error in a year than most renowned movements in 2 months.

Again, due to white supremacy, even if Seiko and Orient is even more in-house manufactured than Rolex (Seiko makes it own lube oil). And even the asian watches have lasted longer than rolexes without servicing, the price of a Deep Sea Dweller can buy both the MM300 and OS300 with plenty of change to pay for the events to wear the two watches.

Something.


There is peculiar bunch with extreme domed cases that is just too weird for me, it looks like a marble crashed into my watch.
What in the hell is this for a desk diver?

Long post.

No comments:

Post a Comment