Paint It Black (the story)

I'm long winded, so there is a long backstory prior to getting the actual watch. But do not worry, the watch review is longer than the story for sure. Will be posting the story first.

When I used this statement in a facebook comment. Many people did not know I was quoting the famous philosopher, Mick Jagger, his band and the famous song holding this verse (my other passion is rock n roll)

I think it is important for everyone to have hear this song at least once in their life
Go to youtube.com search for Paint It Black by Rolling Stones

I have previously blogged about this local (Singapore) watch company, Gruppo Gamma. This company has released various other models since that time I blogged about it.

Current & New Models

Picture
Genesis D-Day
Picture
Genesis Vintage
Picture
Genesis II Base
Picture
Ascent II Supernova
Picture
Ascent II California

Discontinued Models

Picture
Genesis Classic
Picture
Genesis California
Picture
Ascent Military
Picture
Ascent Classic
Picture
Ascent California


Their brass series was unique and special, a watch dealer (check out fantasywatch4u on facebook) from Malaysia told me that the green dialed offerings are popular because green was the colour of money.

What else I liked about this brand's offering is that they make 44mm fiddy cases in mirror polish finish. I think this is something panerai don't really have, nor typical homage watch makers. Uniqueness plus points

They offered a few limited editions along with their regular offerings, tagging the letter L behind them to indicate which I cannot take time to slowly list out, perhaps you could check out the full watch lists from the owners.
(click on "previously blogged" to see the entry and "Gruppo Gamma" to direct link the brand's own webpage)

This company still remains small-staffed and low production volume, not as a marketing ploy but to ensure they can cope with aftersales services. Another thing that remains unique to this company is the value for money products. The watches/straps/packaging pouch are high quality, no frills, no bling (except for the polished finishing).

Here's the quick low down of how this watch finally made it to me.
a) Watch design was selected after owners and brand owner discussed over the GGOC (Gruppo Gamma Owners Club, our own ggristi if you will, but no "brand hate" and congregation.) Although the company makes the final decision, many input came from the members of the owners club.

b) Watch was offered at a release of 100 pieces and no more, no out-of-range funny business going on, maybe except for prototype models and rejected and the brand owner's own pieces (if any of them exists, I do not know, but as far as release to consumers, only 100 piece.)

c) Was is slated (pun intended) for March shipment.

d) Watch case coating had some errors on the back end, causing Naoki, the brand owner (correct me if I'm wrong on this post if you are reading this Naoki) to vomit blood, having to visit the production line personally overseas to rectify this issue. This delayed the release of this watch to end April.

e) Was beating myself with a stick everyday to curb my enthusiasm about the release of this watch.

f) Was invited to a tiny and historic first official getogether (or GTG) to collect this watch and also was treated to a lovely tiramisu cake and beverage (I had tea).

All in all, thats what I recalled, the discussion about this watch was long and never ending, but the key point was being released in a batch of 100 was part of what made this such a unique watch to many potential and unfortunately-want-it-but-did-not-manage-to-make-it-to-the-list people.

Here is some shots of the watch (less than 24 hours of ownership):


No comments:

Post a Comment