look what i've done!

Not particularly proud of what I did, but it is starting to grow on me.

It started out as this simple quartz watch the casio duro mdv-106. Then I thought, hey, why not colour out the logo make it a sterile watch with just the swordfish?

After a few days, I didn't like the way the watch was saying that I did a bad job. The marker did a very good job of saying that I am a cheapskate.

Other things I did was to take out the chapter ring, and put red markers on every 5 secs/5 mins/ 1 hour marking. The lack of second hand was due to my unskilled hands at work in piecing the watch back together, I didn't have any tools with me in taking things out. 

Please see my tools and watch makers, WIS, please skip this part to avoid hurting your eyes. Don't say I never warn, don't complain about it later of being pissed off too.


My caseback opener is this army issued SOG, without fully opening it, it acts as a case opener using the pliers inside. Plenty of others tools I use inside too, mostly the knife.

Poker, handler of fine stuff, a spring bar tool that was used in many situations other than just removing spring bars.

Screw driver set

Polishing cloth from blackberry. Honestly, qudos to this company, How many phone companies put in a polishing cloth with their phones? S3 and Iphone has so much more surface that requires polishing, yet the iCloth or iPolish wasn't included? Oleo-phobic coating still requires some cleaning once in awhile for sure.

This project, I had help with some used blue tack, toothpicks and a can of black spray paint almost forgot to include my trusty sandpaper of unknown grit. 

My brilliant idea was to use the blue tacks to stick the dial markers, movement/hands holder and the date peep hole, and spray. After spraying many coats too thick, I realised it was more detrimental than I thought. The biggest problem was that the blutack wouldn't come off cleanly. Really kicked me a little. I did this project at 3 am and although I used a shirt as a mask, I'm pretty sure I inhaled some paint chemicals.

I took out the blu tack as much as I can, then I thought it was a lost caused, so plan B, pure stealth or go crazy on the black paint. But I don't want a few things to happen.

- any remaining blu tack to be stuck under any coat of paint, I don't know what will happen.
- the lume markers needs to go since no use for lume anymore and that the lume will make things more uneven.

So enter the sandman paper. I just gave it alot of rubba rubba and I was pretty pleased with the results. And got this:


The phone is not the best camera at night indoors, I realised that all phones after 6pm the camera is just set to take shitty pictures till the sun is up.

The sandpaper revealed that pop up dial markers weren't silver colour but some bronze/copper/brass material. It was machine pressed from the dial itself. The entire metal dial is very malleable.

This discovery made me just sandpapering the whole dial and ended up with a worn out look so I did it for the hands as well, but not much success. 

I realised one thing, I'm going to have to better document my projects so that more people can see what I'm doing. 

Overall this project was a failure that turned around. If this was not a quartz movement, I bet all my money that I will fail badly. Spray painting the dial, I didnt take into account that the paint will also flow to the underside. 


Black


No comments:

Post a Comment