mini fiddy - mine!

This one is commonly known a fantasy watch, since Panerai has never produced this watch in this size.

A fiddy case, in 44 mm. currently, all fiddy cases from Panerai is 47mm.

After scouring the net for awhile, I decide to get one luminor one, I kinda like the fiddy shape more than the modern luminor shape.

Anyhow, the pictures of the watch.

This is not the strap it comes with, I have already notched the stock strap to fit my seiko monster. This strap is a Paros strap, cheap and easily replaceable and will be worn in nicely in a week.


This is manual watch movement which is fun (for now) to wind daily.

If you are getting a homage watch or watches of such nature, always get a manual watch. Manual watches are more durable, has lesser parts and problem than a automatic one. Plus, movement of Chinese nature tend to be more problematic. Notice I said Chinese, not oriental movements, because, Japan watch movement is as good as any swiss ETA movement out there.

The Cat and the Fiddle
Fiddy cases, for those who is not sure, is cases shaped similar to the Panerai luminor cushion case in the 50s.

Check out the side profile
 ^A vintage fiddy case^

^Modern Luminor case^

It all boils down to personal preference which case you like more. Fiddy cases, being thinner, has been known to be fitted with  a high dome crystal/glass. In the ye olde days, 1950, plexi glass is used. Now mineral crystal and sapphire crystals are used instead. Although hardcore homage-ers still use plexi for the worn look and eventual aging to yellow-brown tint.

Anyhow, I like fiddy cases more.

Here my specs which I emailed Jackson Tse with:
- Mini Fiddy case (44 mm)
- Gold hands
- Seconds subdial at 9 o'clock position
- Sandwich dial
- Super lume (strong lume, in his words, guessing not superluminova like Getat)
- Thick brown strap
- Domed glass (wanted high domed, but no such thing)
- Marina Militare texts on dial (I got a sterile one to changed since I don't like the wording there making it look cheap)







The watch arrived in 2-3 weeks in bubble wraps and envelop. 


How I Literally Got Screwed by the Watch
Problem with cheap watches, material. When buying such watches, the parts are liable to spoil and wear out compared to higher end pieces it is modelled after.

The wach is with a cool screw lug bar. One long bar on the entire length and the threaded end to screw into the 2nd lug it passes.

Top lug bar is missing its screw thread portion

The first time I tried to remove the screws to change strap, this happened. The threaded end is stuck in the lug holes (It is still there).



My options were as follows:
- Get a replacement case from Jackson, Thankfully he is helpful. But I will have to incur postage costs. *crush paper, throw!
- Get it drilled out and fit with 24mm spring bars. But where to find the drill?

Lucky thing is, the screws broken off did not seal the lug hole completely, instead, it just made it look like a regular lug.

Another issue I faced was finding spring bars. Most regular spring bars from NTUC and Old Mr Goh were thin ones. Mr Goh broke a few bars to help me fit them in. The hole was just too big and the spring bar will slide out.

Lucky for my Seiko Monster ownership, I'm aware of the existence of fat lug spring bars. Yippeeee!
Seiko produces 24 mm fat spring bars for their sumo (no puns intended) prospex watches. 

I managed to procure fat spring bars after digging around. I asked Mr Goh to source for me as he is one of Seiko's AD. But it'll take a week or so to arrive.

I don't mind having spares, but I wanna get my hands on them fatties asap. After calling up a few places that I know of except K2 because I don't travel east much, I managed to find out that non of them have it, and it was fortunate that I manage to find some online in a shop based in Singapore.

Gnomon watches. The spring bars they sell are not from Seiko. They have those with thinner tips to fit regular watches lug holes.

Anyhow, the 24mm sold in Gnomon was competitively priced with Tung Choy and what not spares selling places with the added convenience others but it felt well made and solid so got it anyways for S$6.50 a pair.

Lug prob fixed, just I still have the lume problem, after exchanging plenty of emails with Jackson, we resolved at him sending me a Dial with better lume. Yet to come, hope it is bright, will update once it is changed out.

I visited Old Mr Goh once more to get straps, he kinda recognises me now and is better tempered than last time. Also he is one of the few person in Singapore that cheaply sells Paros Straps.


A word of warning on Paros Straps as much as I love them:
DO NOT PAY MORE THAN $20 FOR A 20-22 MM OR $25 FOR A 24 - 26 MM PAROS STRAP.

The strap is very value for money/durable/wearable/attractive to look/nice once 'worn' in but it is made to for value do not be victims of unscrupulous sellers. My friend paid $100 for the strap, partly his fault for not doing homework but still it is not right.

I tried looking for brown calf leather with stitching but to no avail or stock so I settled for a alligator strap with matching stitchings.

The result was quite ok, still hoping for a ammo strap watch without the crazy prices. $200 a strap when the ammo pouch is max $50 each. Hand stitching is not even tight. Craftsmanship is great but quality of skill and materials does not equate to quality of final product.

<- Radiomir, Luminor->

Comparing the bubble dome crystal of the luminor to the radiomir's raised and ever slightly bulging crystal. The case makes this reflect alot of in daylight making it look cheapo, but its growing on me or I'm coming to terms with it.


Homage family photo, this watch is 44mm and the radiomir is 45mm, but this watch wears much larger than the radiomir. On me, it looks like stallone wearing 60mm egi case watches.

Will I get another homage?
Yes, but not in the near future. Or not.

Next hunt:




No comments:

Post a Comment